Available as of Camel 2.6
The syslog dataformat is used for working with RFC3164 messages.
This component supports the following:
- UDP consumption of syslog messages
- Agnostic data format using either plain String objects or SyslogMessage model objects.
- Type Converter from/to SyslogMessage and String
- Integration with the camel-mina component.
- Integration with the camel-netty component.
Maven users will need to add the following dependency to their pom.xml for this component:
RFC3164 Syslog protocol
Syslog uses the user datagram protocol (UDP)  as its underlying transport layer mechanism.
The UDP port that has been assigned to syslog is 514.
To expose a Syslog listener service we reuse the existing camel-mina component or camel-netty where we just use the Rfc3164SyslogDataFormat to marshal and unmarshal messages
Exposing a Syslog listener
In our Spring XML file, we configure an endpoint to listen for udp messages on port 10514, note that in netty we disable the defaultCodec, this
will allow a fallback to a NettyTypeConverter and delivers the message as an InputStream:
The same route using camel-mina
Sending syslog messages to a remote destination