If you have never used or seen Camel before, then you should start with Apache Camel Tutorial – Introduction to EIP, Routes, Components, Testing, and other Concepts - an article by Kai Wähner, where he puts EIP and Camel into the big picture and gives a run down of the important Camel concepts. Demo source code can be downloaded at github to get started with your first Camel project easily.
Archived Webinars and Screencasts
Articles are divided into several sections. As the lists grow, further sectioning refinements may be necessary.
These examples show usage of several different components and other concepts such as error handling.
Tooling / Combination with other Products
These examples show Camel combined with several tools (e.g. IDE), ESBs, and other middleware products such as messaging or OSGi container.
- Wanna try our Apache Camel developer tools for Enterprise Integration Patterns? by James Strachan
- Using NetBeans 7.0 to create a new Apache Camel project shows how to start from scratch in NetBeans to setup a Apache Camel project (tutorial style with screenshots)
- Using NetBeans 7.0 to create a new Apache Camel project without Spring dependency shows how to start from scratch in NetBeans to setup a Apache Camel project (tutorial style with screenshots) without any Spring dependency
- Integrating Apache Camel with JBoss ESB by Edgar Ankiewsky
- Combining ApacheCamel+BSF to make JBoss ESB polyglot by Edgard Ankiewsky Silva
- Implementing Fuji integration scenario using Camel SE by Louis Polycarpou
- An IRC alerter written using Apache Camel and Java how to easily integrate IRC with Camel to monitor and do alerts.
- Things to consider when selecting between Apache Camel and Apache Servicemix by Ashwin Karpe
- A jira notification system for irc using Camel by Guillaume Nodet
- Camel + Smooks from the official Smooks blog about Smooks integration Camel out of the box.
- Getting Started with Apache Camel and prepare for Apache ServiceMix deployment by Magnus K Karlsson
- Smooks OSGI: Camel, UN/EDIFACT, ServiceMix shows how to use Smooks with Camel running in the Apache ServieMix OSGi container.
- ServiceMix bridge to IBM WebSphereMQ how to bridge ActiveMQ and IBM WebSphereMQ with Camel running inside Apache ServiceMix 4.x (OSGi based).
- Camel integration with Oracle WebLogic JMS by Lowry Curry
- Camel integration with WebSphere MQ by Lowry Curry
- jBPM5/Drools Apache Camel integration a blog entry talking about JBMP5/Drools integration with Apache Camel.
- Use remote EJB in Camel routes by Jean-Baptiste Onofré
- Use Camel, CXF and Karaf to implement batches by Jean-Baptiste Onofré explains how to control a Camel route from another route and a JAX-RS server using CXF, package into an OSGi bundle ready to run in Apache Karaf.
- Karaf Tutorial Part 5 - Running Apache Camel integrations in OSGi by Christian Schneider
- Unit testing OSGi Blueprint with Apache Camel made easier - Blog post how Camel Testing with OSGi blueprint became much much easier, than having to resort to use pax exam.
- Communication between two remote Camel routes using Apache Karaf Cellar by Jean-Baptiste Onofré
- How to Start/Stop Camel Routes on an ActiveMQ Slave - by Jason Sherman
- Article about testing WMB - This article shows a hands-on approach of how you can test your IBM WebSphere Message Broker solutions in a simple way using modern tools, such as Apache Camel.
- Tools for building a real time analytics platform - Article demonstrating using Apache Camel and Storm for real-time analytics.
- camunda BPM + Apache Camel: Integrating two Open Source frameworks for a lightweight BPM+SOA infrastructure - From the Camunda team blogging how to use their product together with Apache Camel using a camunda-bpm component.
- Add Apache Camel and Spring as JBoss modules in WildFly - How to reuse Camel JARs as JBoss Modules with WildFly
- Running Camel on EAP - by Christian Posta, how to run Apache Camel on JBoss EAP / Wildfly using JBoss Modules.
- Bootstrapping Apache Camel in Java EE7 with WildFly 8 - by Markus Eisele, how to run Apache Camel on WildFly using CDI, as well information about other EE7 examples for Apache Camel.
- Your Apache Camel applications now includes out of the box documentation - by Claus Ibsen, blogs about new functionality in Camel 2.15 onwards that means all EIP and component documentation is out of the box at runtime.
- Some great hawtio videos by Robin Huiser - Three videos of demonstrating hawtio and Apache Camel in action.
Camel and Groovy
Camel and Scala
Camel and Clojure
Comparison to Camel's Competitors
Presentations on Apache Camel
- James Strachan was interviewed by Dana Gardner
- Episode 35 - A few beers with Chariot's Open Source Integration Experts - Chariot TechCast Episode 35 where they talk about: ServiceMix, Camel, FUSE, Mule, Spring Integration, EIP, ESB etc.
- The Basement Coders Episode 14 - Apache Camel - Basement Coders discusses Apache Camel. You may want to skip to the 25 minute where they start talking about Camel.
- JBoss Asylum Podcast Episode 28 - Fuse stories - Podcast from January 2013 with James Strachan and Rob Davies with the background history and how they got into creating Apache Camel, and how they tink Camel has become such successful.
- Podcast James Strachan - Mr Apache Camel - Podcast from February 2013 with James Strachan about Apache Camel, integration and the cloud.
- Developer Interview with Claus Ibsen - Video interview August 2014 with Claus Ibsen about Apache Camel, Camel tooling, and about the upcoming Camel release.
- Apache Camel Developer's Cookbook by Scott Cranton and Jakub Korab (Packt Publishing, December 2013)
- Instant Apache Camel Messaging System by Evgeniy Sharapov (Packt Publishing, September 2013)
- Instant Apache Camel Message Routing by Bilgin Ibryam (Packt Publishing, August 2013)
- Camel in Action by Claus Ibsen and Jonathan Anstey (Manning, December 2010)
- Enterprise Integration Patterns by Gregor Hohpe and Bobby Woolf (Addison Wesley, October 2003)
- Ashwin Karpe's Blog (OpenSourceKnowledge) - Ashwin is a Camel committer and writes about Camel.
- Ben O'Day's Blog - Ben works in the field and sometimes blogs about Camel
- Bilgin Ibryam's Blog - Bilgin blogs about Camel, OFBiz and Open Source in general.
- Charles Moulliard's Blog - Charles occasionally blogs about Camel and OSGi
- Christian Schneider's Blog - Christian occasionally blogs about Camel and CXF.
- Claus Ibsen's Blog - Claus is a Camel committer since March 2008, and writes a lot about Camel.
- Hadrian Zbarcea - also blogs about Camel.
- James Strachan's Blog - James blogs about Camel sometimes too
- Jean-Baptiste Onofré's Blog - JB blogs about Camel, CXF, Karaf, ServiceMix and OSGi in general.
- Jon Anstey's Blog - Jon occasionally blogs about Camel
- Kai Wähner's Blog - Kai blogs about Camel, ESB, Cloud, and present Camel at various conferences as well.
- Marcelo Jarbali's Blog - Marcelo blogs about Websocket, Camel and integration.
- Michael Warecki's Blog - Michael blogs about SOA, BPA and Camel.
- Raul Kripalani's Blog - Raúl blogs about Camel, ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, CXF, SOA, Open Source in general, both in Spanish and English.
- Robert James Liguori's Blog - Blogs about Java and supporting resources including Apache Camel.
- Tracy Snell's Blog - Tracy frequently blogs about Camel.
- Willem Jiang's Blog - Willem also writes about Camel in English and Chinese.